I modified this recipe based on inspiration from Fat Free Vegan’s recipe for vegan nacho cheese sauce that was simply scrumptious. Check it out and try the baked cauliflower too – yum!
I wanted to make a vegan cheese sauce that was more traditional to add to various veggies and make a mac n’ cheese so I played around with some combinations and this is the one that won for me.
I’ve used this with gluten-free pasta to make a fabulous mac n’ cheese and poured it on steamed veggies, potatoes, you get the idea. It’s vegan cheese sauce. Enjoy!
Amazing Vegan “Cheese” Sauce
- 2 cups unsweetened rice or soy milk (I like rice best – just make sure whatever plant-based milk you use is not sweetened or vanilla flavored)
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cup mashed plain sweet potato
- 4 tbs organic corn starch
- 1 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp Dr. Braggs or gluten-free tamari sauce (optional-gives a little more umami flavor and cheesy saltiness)
- ¼ tsp turmeric (optional – gives it a little more yellow color and it’s really good for you)
Blend all ingredients in high speed blender until very smooth and creamy. Pour into pan and stir on stove at medium high heat until thick and warm. Top the sauce on your favorite foods, use as a dip or refrigerate to reheat and eat later. The recipe below can easily be doubled if you love leftovers and the sauce will keep in the fridge for at least a week, although, you’ll eat it before the week’s up – at least I did!